Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Sunday, May 17, 2009

"A long and forgotten life..."

This week has been such a hectic and fast-paced week, I've hardly had time to think. Aside from being sick, I was to run the craft section for our church at Vacation Bible School. We were also supposed to travel to five villages during the day for work. Then we had aired a Spring Cleaning Sale at our house on Saturday... sigh.

Well, mother nature and other Higher Powers had other plans! I went to VBS on Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday and Thursday I was stuck on my couch incapacitated with illness. I honestly thought I'd have time to get some things ready for the sale...nope. I either slept, was in bed, or was sprawled out on the couch ALL DAY for three days.

I prayed for some help, especially since we needed to get rid of some big ticket items, an outboard motor, an electric motorcycle, a bunk bed, and shelves, and other furniture items that have been cluttering our garage for a year. Friday morning, I was allowed back to work, and went. Only to be ridden with a horrible headache. I smiled my way through lunch, and finally gave in and took some ibuprofen. The other medication I had been on makes me drowsy so I ended up falling asleep late in the afternoon and waking up to Shockie's barking at about 6:00 p.m. I asked...He answered!

I was suddenly awake, sans headache, ready to clean and get ready...but of course, I had already given my time to VBS, so I called a friend and went to do my craft duties! After VBS, I was able to stay awake until about 2:30 and wake up early enough to be completely ready for the sale!

We asked, and they came! They came early, and in waves...tidal waves! We managed to get rid of almost ALL of our smaller junk, and most of the clothes/shoes/winter gear. I was happy enough. All the big stuff can be aired on our local radio station. Too bad Craigslist doesn't reach this far up...although I could probably try!

Church this morning was grand. Apparently my daughter gave herself to the Lord this week during VBS, so I was a mix of emotions. Does a six year old know what we're talking about? I actually became "christian" or "gave myself to the Lord" on Mother's Day when she was two weeks old. So, she has always grown up going to church, and reading the bible, praying, etc. She seems to know what she's doing and is a really great minister when she wants to be. The Pastor used her as an example today. She came home Thursday and asked Dean, "Dean if God came tomorrow, where would you be? Cause I'd be in heaven with Pappa." She is learning about sin, and that it is OK to sin, as long as you confess your sins. (We have to be careful about what we say, because she was very worried that she lied to me recently, and in her bible, the payment for sin is death. We had to explain that because God sent his son, we no longer have to sacrifice animals, and we don't have to pay for our sins with our life. The A, B, C's man...the A, B, C's. Admit, Believe, Confess)

I am proud, and scared. People have a different view of Christians here. Our family doesn't push our values on people, but we are here simply to listen if you need it, and give advice if you want it. A few of my friends have used me as somewhat of a "counselor" and I am more than happy to give what I think is right. I don't know if I'm always right, but its nice to know that I can make a positive difference in someone's life.

Kaisa's verse she is supposed to memorize is John 3:16. Here is her version so far:

"For God so loved the world, that he sent his one and only son, so that if we beleiveth in him, we shall have a long and forgotten life."

I think I need to work with her a little more...but she's almost got it down! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered - do you have to be "born again" if you grew up knowing Jesus from the start? I never DIDN"T believe, from the time I was old enough to know, but I remember a couple times asking him to come into my heart, just in case the way I was raised wasn't enough or hadn't quite done the trick!! Better safe than sorry, when it comes to eternal salvation, I figured!
CD