Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Hubby's Hobby...

Five little knives went out to play, over the hills and far away...Father Axe went hack, hack, hack, and only two little knives came shimmying back... So, we kept the two for ourselves!!! good luck little knives, wherever you are!
five little knives in wood
My hubby has found a new hobby... Knifemaking. He watched my dad, the knifemaking savant, and has decided that it's his new "thing!" So...here are some pictures of his latest creations.
knife maker
As you can see, most of them are made from Finnish Curly Birch, and antler. He did add some ivory on one for his friend Tom's dad, who hadn't ever owned anything ivory. He does an OK job with the sheaths, but they get better every try. (I'm rooting for him!)
ivory antler birch
If you want a custom knife, handmade with whatever your heart desires...just call Dean 442-2499! The knives cost anywhere between $60 and $200...depending of course on materials and sheath skins. (We have cow leather sheaths and nalauq sealskin sheaths, and regular seal skin sheaths, even these are hand made!)
five little knives
On another note, New year's was mighty cold. Here is a picture of the three oldest kids in their parky's. Kaisa spent New Year's with her dad in Selawik. She had a blast...but I didn't get a picture of her in her parky! (Thanks for the photo Cathy, I stole it for their background!!! :))
Happy New Year 09

2 comments:

Martha said...

I don't need a knife...but this cold weather has made me remember that I do need some muluks. I have a very vague recollection of going to watch the dog races with my mom and either you or Saima and wearing muklus. Anyway...I don't want these: http://www.muklukstore.com/entry.asp. Any idea where one might find some???

Finnskimo said...

what the heck are those, those are NOT mukluks!! HAHA.

Maybe you could ask my mom to make you a pair, since I only make them for people who came out of my womb or are married to me! HAH.