Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rescue the Rescuer...

What happens when the rescuer needs rescuing?

rescue1

Pretty much the whole town comes down. And if that doesn't help, then the big equipment comes.

Last year my son was in the hospital for a week and smack dab in the middle of the WORST STORM in HISTORY, he was discharged. I tried to tell the nurse that when I brought him into the E.R., we had just pajama's and thin jackets on, and we hadn't brought anything else with us since then.

She told me, "That's too bad, but you still have to leave." So, after another attempt at allowing us to just stay in the hospital room (we were only one of three inpatient patients, and they still had fourteen beds available), we had to leave.

My car had been outside and long story short, we ended up walking home (which was about 1/8th of a mile away, literally I could throw three rocks and be home from the hospital) in pajamas. It took us almost two hours. Both of us frostbit our legs and ears and other parts of our bodies. But we did make it home alive. (A few people didn't that day.)

house

When the storm finally let up, I went out (the window, because the door was covered completely) to find my car which we got stuck somewhere between the hospital and my house. I found it buried under about seven feet of snow. (I have a Ford Explorer XLT)

house again

And it needed to be rescued.

But just like everyone else in the ENTIRE TOWN, someone stopped and asked if I needed help. I had brought three shovels and that wasn't enough. In addition to the people walking by, a loader came by and simply stuck a chain around something under my car (I don't claim to have car savvy) pulled me out, and off I went.

rescue2

Cause that's just how this town is. We help everyone.

Even the rescuers! :)

4 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

Wow! That's a lot of snow! Great photos, and I love that you sketched your house on the snow-covered image. Really puts things into perspective!

Susan in North Pole
http://www.susanstevenson.com/blog

Doin' It Myself said...

Psh. I'm seriously surprised you didn't make that nurse march in front of you the whole way. Pajamas? And she sent you out in THAT?! That's totally NOT cool!
Was nice to see that everyone helps everyone though. :)

gpc said...

I gather the hospital employees aren't townies . . . too bad.

Leacayoungart said...

wow! that is just crazy!