Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Friday, May 28, 2010

A nod to my youth...

Paper dolls have always been a Finnish tradition. I remember playing with them while growing up and making my own "doll clothes" with the card-stock dolls I had.

Photobucket

sirkus

Nowadays though, they're much more commercial. Magnetic dolls with hundreds of outfits, too many to choose from with enough time left over for actual imaginativel play. Finland has a long history of girls and women playing with simple, yet fun paper dolls.

Photobucket

Well, not anymore. Thanks to the World Wide Waste-of-time, last night I found EXACTLY what I was looking for. And early this morning the girls were nice and chatty, talking about what their doll was, where they worked and what sort of family they had.

kaarisa

laila

They each chose ONE sheet of cardstock that I had printed out for them and now, the table is once again...craft zone.

Photobucket

This, obviously, is one of my favorites...

maija doll

Hmm, I should get some undies like that. I wonder what Hubs would think! :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I LOVE paper dolls! When I was a kid, nothing made me happier than a new paper doll book. I didn't even know they made paper dolls anymore! Would you mind passing along the website where you found those paper dolls? I am so happy to see you are passing along the love of paper dolls to the young generation!
Heather