Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pot Pies and Wrestling Shirts

Now, normally Chicken pot pie wouldn't necessarily go together. But today they do. Cause I'm gonna give you my super top secret recipe! (Well, its not super top secret, but that just makes it sound better eh!?)

aana shirt

And I made my mom a wrestling shirt for the Bush Brawl this year. She's going to wear it all week I think!

OK... BEST EVER CHICKEN POT PIE! (Notice a trend here?)

chix pot pie 1

Gather your ingredients:
*Two or three boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I have to use frozen because I live in Kotzebue and we don't have fresh Chicken breasts available...cheap ah?)
*A can of corn (Or a handful of frozen/fresh organic corn if you have it available, I don't!)
*A handful of frozen/fresh peas
*A few carrots (Yes, my carrots look all lame cause I thought I had carrots, and it turns out I only had a few baby carrots left, but that'll have to do for now!)
*A half of one onion
*A can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
*Two pie crusts (Notice I'm using pilsbury ready made, because if my mom isn't eating it, no one cares if I use ready made! If you want a recipe, CLICK HERE for a great recipe from Tundra Gypsy, and check out her knitting and crafting and baking...yum!)

pot pie 2

Cut up your carrots and throw them in a pot.

pot pie 4

Cut up your chicken and throw it in the pot with the carrots. Fill with just enough water to cover and boil until the chicken is done. Your carrots will still be slightly crunchy, which is best, in my opinion!

pot pie 3

Slice up the onion and place in another pot. Cook until translucent.

pot pie 5

Add the Cream of Mushroom Soup, about 3/4 of a can of water, the corn and peas to the onion pot. Boil until nice and bubbly. (Note: I noticed that Campbell's Cream of Mushroom has MSG (GASP!) in it. And I can't eat that, so now I'm gong to have to make a roux for my chicken pot pie, but that's ok, five more minutes is OK!)

pot pie 6

Drain the chicken and carrots, then add to the Cream of Mushroom pot, or vice versa, if your pot is too small.

pot pie 7

Place a pie crust on the bottom of your pie pan, fill with the chicken mixture, careful not to overfill. Place the other crust on top and fold the top crust over the bottom to seal in the chicken mixture. Poke vent holes on top.

pot pie

Bake for 35-40 minutes at 355 degrees, or until the top is browned. I let mine set out for about ten minutes before we eat it, but if I didn't stand there with a wooden spoon swatting away grubby, hungry fingers, we would eat it before then.

OK, now for the SHIRT recipe!

Get a shirt. Get some freezer paper. Get some fabric paint.

carve

Draw your design onto the paper side of the freezer paper.

Cut it out with an exacto knife.

Iron it onto your shirt, plasticy side down.

Let it cool.

Paint on top of the paper with your fabric paint.

Let paint dry.

Peel off freezer paper.

Bring shirt to your mom at work.

mom

(Koy is my son, who is 14 and wrestling this weekend here in Kotzebue. "Aana" means Grandmother. My mom is Koy's Aana. And she graduated from this school in 1974.)

moms back

Make sure the back is painted too!

OK, now whatever you can draw and cut out, you can make into a shirt!

Now go make yourself a Chicken Pot Pie shirt! :) Enjoy!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Hiya there-wanted to say I just stumbled across your blog (don't ask me how because then I'll have to admit I already forgot and it was only a half hour ago, haha), but I LOVE it! Your life is so different from mine that I've been enjoying myself clicking backwards through your year--your children are beautiful!!! You can keep the snow for a bit--I'm still enjoying the changing leaves here:)
xo,
Bethany

tundra gypsy said...

hey! thanks for the blog love!
cool shirts!

Judy said...

Tried your pot pie recipe. It is MUCH better than the one I got off of Allrecipes.com. We don't eat cream of mushroom soup that often so the MSG won't tear us up too bad.

Laurie Constantino said...

wish i had some chicken pot pie, wish my husband liked chicken pot pie, i want chicken pot pie, think i better make some chicken pot pie SOON because this is the second day in a row i've come back to moon over your BEST EVER pie! it looks delicious!