Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tundra Easter Eggs

We're celebrating Easter all week this week, because momma was out of town and Deanie was crippled, so MY kids got a note from the Easter Bunny saying he got the Swine Flu and would leave them gifts all week to make up!

Photobucket

Seriously. Kaisa wore her "Easter Dress" to school today. Complete with stuffed toes. (Funny story... her shoes are a tad too big, so I said, "I'll show you something!" I run over to the kleenex and grab a couple of them, she looks at me, puzzled and says, "I hope you don't expect me to put them in HERE!" and points to the chest area of her dress. I bust out laughing and say, "WHY would I do that?" Her response, "I dunno, in case you want me to have boobs or something." Sigh...kids!)

Photobucket

As some of you know, my sister Saima, has a blog called Tundra Chicks and sells Fresh Organic Chicken Eggs, laid in the frigid Arctic.

I swear they taste better cause we're above the Arctic Circle or something! Whatever the case may be, they're good to look at, even better to eat!

Photobucket

So, we used some of those eggs to dye for Easter. They turned out so beautiful, I didn't know what to do. Such natural colors. Not the commercial brights you're used to. Her chickens lay different colored eggs, blue, green, pink and brown. So the spectrum of the "blue" dye was amazing.

Photobucket

We used Martha Stewart's quick and easy marble effect on them, where you get a bowl, add a tsp of food coloring, about three tablespoons of Vinegar, mix well, add water and drizzle some oil into the bowl. Mix well, throw your egg down in there, and grab quickly, wipe with a paper towel and...awesome eggs! (Plus, it leaves the eggs with a nice sheen to them!)

Photobucket
Whose egg is this? MY EGG, whoop!

I'm sure they'd work on regular white eggs as well. I'm not opposed to white eggs, but if I can get a natural color out of something, I will! Last year, we tried to dye the eggs with cranberries, blueberries, and other such "natural" things. :)

Photobucket

Anyway, natural eggs, deserve a natural basket.

Happy Easter Everyone!

No comments: