Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Priorities...

A while ago, I had complained that I didn't have enough time to do ANYTHING.

I even went so far as to make a LIST.

My list went a little something like this:

I wish I had more time with my family.
I wish I could ORGANIZE my house.
I wish I could catch up with Laundry.
I wish I could learn to say NO to people.
I wish I could just SIT THERE AND DO NOTHING.
I wish I had more time to bake.
I wish I could be a stay at home mom.
I wish I could homeschool my kids.
I wish I wasn't such a perfectionist.

Oh Lord, its hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way!!! (Hmm...)

And so on, and so forth.



Well... be careful what you wish for. Cause pretty much everyone on my list came true when I got sick. I couldn't do it myself, so my friends stepped up and helped. If they didn't DO it, they perpetuated the motion that forced ME to do it.

Now, my house is clean, the laundry is caught up for the first time EVER, I DID get a lot of time to just sit there. I have been baking more, with the kids. I sit there and have them cook dinner, bake muffins, cinnamon rolls, bread, and rolls. My daughter has been cooking dinner every night for the past week.



Last night, as I watched and guided her, she sauteed onions and carrots, stuck some Chicken thighs in the onions and browned them in the pot. Then she covered them with water and chicken base, and boiled them for about 25 minutes. She then made a flour water mixture and whisked it into the chicken broth and thickened it. While it was boiling, she popped open a couple of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits and popped them into the oven. After adding a bunch of spices to the mix, dinner was done. A semi-sort of take on Chicken with dumplings, but made by a six year old.



For the Church potluck on Sunday, Koy made Monkey Bread as I gave him the recipe that I have memorized in my head. 45 minutes later, out came the ooeyest gooeyest monkey bread one could imagine. (and of course, I shouldn't have any!)



They've been happily home every night cooking and baking up a storm.

After our Chicken-a-la-Kaisa, we played Bananagrams. Such a blast to play. Its sort of a take on scrabble that anyone who can spell simple words can play. Even though I am much more advanced than my first grader, she is a wonderful reader and speller, and can play with the best of them. She oftentimes beats her brother! We sometimes argue about how to spell a word, but other than that, she pretty much kicks butt playing any sort of games!



Now that I am fighting a few illnesses and am prone to catch every bug around (thanks to a supressed immune system), I've caught a flu bug. My body is aching, and my stomach burning. But I'll kick this, just like I kicked the last illness. Cause, I finally was able to see my priorities and follow them from now on!



And..."Lund is a word MOM, its on the SIDE OF OUR BOAT!" Seriously, she's only SIX!

2 comments:

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Um, recipe for YOUR monkey bread, please? It looks WAY gooier and yummier than MINE turns out. Share? I'll be eternally grateful. Honest.

Thanks.And feel better soon. The flu is no fun even when you're "well" when you get it. Hang in there.

Anne said...

Monkey Bread??? Slurp. I just drooled on my keyboard. I have a recipe for Gorilla Bread on my Blog that's fun too...Paula Deen style!

Now stop with this flu "monkey business", get better and post that recipe! (LOL) Seriously, feel better!!

P.S. Loved the video of your daughter on her snowmachine. My six year old niece has the same one. Fearless! Both of them!