Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SNOW DAY!

Well, this morning I woke up to hear the howling sound of wind blowing through the town. Of course, the first thought that ran through my mind was..."I wonder if the path I shoveled survived the storm..." My next thought was, "I wonder if the kids have to go to school today..."
No sooner had I put on my boots to let out Shockey for her morning piddle, my mom called. She had gone to the school at 5:30 am and was calling to tell me not to bring the kids to school because it was too stormy. So, I called the school a few times, each time getting a busy signal, probably because people like me were calling to ask about the status, or calling to let the office know that their kids would not be in school that day.
The district here is smarter than your average Anchorage school district. A while back, they canceled school in Anchorage for four days in a row, due to freezing rain. Now they have to make up those days on Saturday, and at the end of the year. Not so for Kotzebue. We tell parents that they have the choice to bring their kids to school and they will not be counted absent that day if they don't come, due to the storm, then by 12:30, they tell parents who DID bring their kids to school to pick them up! That way, we don't have to make up any days. THAT's how you do it folks!

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't have a camera here at home...I can't find the new one, and Koy's is out of batteries, and my work camera is...at work! :) Otherwise I would show you that when you look out my front window, you can just barely make out the faint outline of the black windows on the building across the street. Nothing else. Pure whiteout conditions out there.

So...Kaisa and Clara have been holed up all day inside, so what's the best thing to do after playing house, school, polly pockets and eating? Taking pictures on the webcam of course! So...take pictures they did! I thought I'd share them with you! They took about 150 pictures, so bear with me here!

21

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

18

16

Pic three

1 comment:

Jane said...

Great pictures. It is interesting how other states handle school closing when they deal with snow frequently. In the deep South, if it threatens ice, whether it happens or not, they will close schools. And they wonder why the South ranks dead last for percentage graduating from HS!

Jane