Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Friday, August 31, 2012

Pumpkin Cake

Really now, is there anything better than Pumpkin Cake?  I don't know.  When it's windy and rainy and ugly all over, one of the best things we have found to do...is to bake.  Pumpkin Cake.  Bundt cake to be exact.  (By the way, when you say "Bundt" you HAVE to say it like the momma on My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!!  "Buuuunnndt")

cake 1

I love baking in Bundt pans.  They always come out so pretty and warm and the better they look, the better they taste.  Don't try to change my mind.  It's true.  Belieeee dat. (That was my attempt at saying Believe That...yes?  no?  ok we won't go there)

One of the EVEN better things about bundt cakes is that you can always mix it up in about 15 minutes, bake it for 45 minutes and an hour later, you have this awesome smelling, great looking cake.  And if you have a kitchen in your office, ahem...like WE do, you can take a break to mix it up.  Go back to your office to work for 45 min and tease everyone while it bakes then sneak it off into your office like I did!

cake 3

Then you send an email to the people you like.... or nevermind.  I shared with everyone who stopped by! (for real, I did) On another note, this is also a way to make friends.  "What!?  You don't like me!?  Have some cake...  See, now you're my friend."  Oh, maybe it doesn't work that way, but the world would be better if we could just forgive and forget over some good coffee and a slice of pumpkin cake.

Do you need friends?  Do you want to make one too?  Good news.  I'm going to share the recipe.  Cause you're my friend.

cake 4

Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
*adapted from Whipped Pumpkin Buttermilk Bundt Cake

2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/4 C sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 C solid pack pumpkin
3/4 C carnation milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

For Glaze:
2 TBS butter, softened
2 TBS cream cheese, room temperature
1-2 TBS carnation milk
1 C powdered sugar (or more for thicker consistency)

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour your bundt pan.

Beat butter and sugar in mixer until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. 

In another bowl mix together pumpkin, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.

(*CONFESSION:  I do not waste three bowls by doing this.  I mix it all into my kitchenaide mixer and it turns out great.  I did, however, mix it this way for the first couple times I made the cake.  Then I got lazy.  And didn't want to do dishes.  So there.)

With the mixer on low, alternate flour mix, pumpkin mix, flour mix, pumpkin mix and end with flour mix until smooth. 

Carefully spoon batter into bundt pan, smooth top and bake for 45-50 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean.  Cool for at least 15 minutes in pan, then remove and cool to the touch.

While cooling cake make glaze:  Mix butter, cream cheese and milk together.  Add powdered sugar until glaze like consistency.  Pour or Ribbon over top of cake.

cake 2

Make this and you'll have plenty of friends.  Have a great three day weekend!  "Someone" special is having a big birthday on the 4th!  Stay tuned to see what fun we have in store.  (Or well as fun as an avid hunter can have on a three day weekend!!!)



No comments: