Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cold snap

Alapaa, it's been super cold up here. But, in the cold there are still a few things you can do.

One of them is enjoy the Northern Lights.

House 3

And we have an abundance of those at camp, especially since there is no other light to compete with, so they come out and it's eerie.

Skidoo

They dance and dance and dance. All around your house. All around your body.

The kids whistle and run inside, just like I used to. Because every good little Eskimo knows that if you whistle at the Northern Lights, they'll come down and cut off your head to play football with!

House

So you do what everyone else does. Whistle and RUN.

As an adult. I still whistle and run. It's fun stuff being an Eskimo.

House again

6 comments:

Vicki Harsha said...

Beautiful pictures. It is eerie how much light they produce, and the inside lights.... makes it look like daybreak...

Lisa said...

Terrific photos!

gpc said...

So beautiful, something I would love to see but havnen't gotten lucky yet!

Anonymous said...

2500 miles east and we do the same thing....whistle and run.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights. When I was a little girl (mid-'60's) they were visible one night where I live, in Tennessee. My parents didn't wake me up, and I never forgave them :-)! They were visible again earlier this year -- I left my house after midnight to drive into the country where it wasn't so light, hoping I would see them. It turned out they were visible 30 miles or so away. I'm still hoping to see them once in my life! I think I just need to visit Alaska...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics!