Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Kotzebue Krud

Fall time in the Arctic is absolutely beautiful. Berries, Caribou, Fall colors bursting about. Our Fall doesn't last long though. We quickly go from bring green mosquito infested rivers, to bright gold and orange cool Autumn days, and freezing nights, to snow on the ground, and everything brown underneath.

I think God made it gorgeous here because it is so short that you really have to stop what you're doing to witness it.

When Winter rolls around, so does the "Kotzebue Krud." A cold-like virus that will give mucinex commercials a run for their money. Your bones ache, you feel like you have strep-throat, and a headache that won't go away. People cough and cough and cough some more. And it lasts for MONTHS.

So, seeing as though I feel like I've been hit by a Mack Truck, I pulled out the trusty teapot and went to work.

teapot

Lemon Ginger Tea, with honey.

It gives you the warmth you want and need, while coating your sore throat in tasty goodness. I literally drink this for three months. Every day, all day long. As a matter of fact, when I travel, I take honey in travel containers (under 3oz, like what you'd use for shampoo!) and cut up lemon with pureed ginger so I can ask the flight attendants to just give me some hot water!

I don't use a recipe, really, but I'll try to recreate on for you, in case you've been hit with the Kotzebue Krud!

lemon ginger

Lemon Ginger Tea with Honey.

For 3-4 cups worth
  • Juice one half of a lemon into a teapot, with a strainer.
  • Cut one knob of ginger off, and grate it into the teapot.
  • Pour 4 cups boiling water over the lemon and ginger.
  • Let steep for a few minutes.
  • Strain into your cup.
  • Add 1 tsp Honey and mix well.
  • Sip until your throat feels better.

4 comments:

spotted face said...

"I think God made it gorgeous here because it is so short that you really have to stop what you're doing to witness it."

Absolutely beautiful way of putting it! Though I have not witnessed autumn in your part of the world.

I don't remember how I found your blog, but hope you don't mind my following along. Take care!

Anonymous said...

We get that same darn "Krud" in Maine and drink the same thing, we add a little cayenne when it's really bad. That blows it right out of you. The snow will be flying here soon so stocking up on "Krud" stuff.

alaskapi said...

Oh, this is almost the recipe my ma always brewed up for "bumpy tummy" when I was a kid, less lemon for hers though.
Bumpy tummy covers digestive upset,motion sickness, and similar gastric upsets. Ginger helps most of them quite nicely!
I hope you feel better very soon!

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

THanks for this. I love tea, that is not actually TEA. Hot drinks that are soothing. I make elderberry syrup, then use a couple of tsps of that, plus a dash of lemon juice and hot water, to make a hot winter "tea," but I just tried this and like the bite of the ginger in the lemon. So now I have two hot drinks for winter.