Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Monday, May 7, 2012

Bassaba Joooones

When I was a kid and had a Lions Club Basketball game, my dad would sing to me, "I got da Bassaba Jones, I got da bassaba jones, I got da bassaba jones, OOoooOOOOO!" 

I always wondered what the Bassaba Jones were.  Or who that was. 

My girl, she has the Basketball Jones too!  The Basketball program is done and over with this year for our elementary aged kids.  My mom ran the program and the awards banquet Sunday showcased all the awesome players we have. 

Girls

Both my daughter and my niece were on the Red Salmon team, coached by my mom.  I wrote a story about growing up in her basketball shadow for the local paper HERE.  Sarah Palin has NOTHING on this Basketball mom.  And she does NOT wear lipstick either.

Anyway, I was so proud of the girls this weekend.  Kaisa took home the "Three Point Shot" award for third grade girls.

three point

Here's the story as my mom tells it: 

She took the ball and stared at the rim for a bit, then paced back and forth a few times, carefully measuring the ball to the rim.  She checked the wind speed (yes they were indoors) and position of the sun while pacing a little more.  The coaches were a little impatient when she measured with one eye the distance from the three point line all the way to the rim, but they waited.  Eventually, she took a deep breath, and closed her eyes.  She swung the ball from under her legs (GRANNY STYLE) and threw the ball up.  Up.  Up... and into the rim.  I don't know who was more surprised, her or us!  With that one shot, she WON.

Mom

Clara was a part of the All-Tourney team.  One girl and one boy from each team were chosen by the other coaches and we were so proud when Clara won.  She has done amazingly well this season and doesn't even put her fingers in her mouth nervously anymore!  She's been a scorer under the basket for the team all season.

All Tourney

 All the kids had fun, all the parents enjoyed the stories.  All in all, we had a great season! 

Awards

For more photos, click HERE


No comments: