Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Polar Bears...

Again with the Polar Bears! So naturally, as a citizen of Kotzebue, I am all for wildlife, and all that, but when a polar bear comes this close to town, I'm ready for the dangerous wildlife to leave!

Photobucket

But its when they're so close, that you can hear the crunch under their paws and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up because you don't know what to expect. Is it a hungry bear? Its it a young male? An old barren female wanting to adopt some dogs as her own? What?!

Its when they're this close that we don't want them around. Its dangerous and someone needs to remove it.

Scary...

The kids play out at school and walk home from school. My aahna lives right off the docks on the water. The National Park Service sent out a message on the radio, VHF, and police scanner that the Polar Bear is making its way down toward Kotzebue, it is currently right at about Lockhardt Point and Pike Spit.

Polar Bear location

Dean, being a non-native can not shoot this bear, but all my cousins and family can, to harvest it for subsistence. Young hungry male bear tastes a little like dried crap, so no one will eat it if it's starving. We like fat bear! Anyway...I think I'm going to make sure Koy is wearing his gun when he plays out today. Where else in the world can you say that you need to bring your son a gun to walk home from school! haha... what a world.

1 comment:

Ms. ~K said...

That's amazing!!!
Stay safe,
~K

ps...yes, I have my Larry patch!!!
YAY Lance, again!!!!