Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Inupiaq Words for today...

Thanks to Anugaaq for sending me these. I knew some of them, but not all of them!

I'll spell the words like they sound underneath, so you get the idea! :)


Aana


AH-nah
My aana's name is Katak, just like ME!

Mom
AH-kah
My mom's name is Jennie (Ahluniq, just like my daughter Kaisa)


Dad

AH-pah
This is my dad, his name is Willie.
husband
UNG-oot-noo-nick
This is my husband, Dean...the translation mean's "my man!"

Mother in law

AH-nah-roke
This is my mother in law, Emily...Dean's mom!
Oldest Sister
ah-KORE-uck
Yay, its me, Maija, I'm the oldest sister
young woman
niv-AKE-sake
Young woman...this is my sister, Saima
Youngest child
noo-KUCK-hlick
Youngest Child, who happens to be my youngest sister, Elsa
josie cousin
UGH-nah-kun
My cousin from my mother's sister.
This is my cousin Josie, her mom Ruthie is my mom's sister.
Photobucket
ILL-yook
Otherwise known as "ILA" (sounds like ILYA)
Cross Cousins - mothers brothers, father's sisters, or another name for the many family members we have!
Kaisa and Allee are Ila.
Siblings
AHN-ick-un
Siblings: Max, Koy, Kaisa and Maddie


OK, I hope you enjoyed your lesson for today! :) You can always hear first hand how to say the word and how to use it in a sentance if you log onto www.nana.com and click on Inupiaq Word of the Week.

Katak.

4 comments:

TwoYaks said...

Looks like we're all thinking about words today! Cathy had a blog post about words, which inspired me to post about words over here! http://effectivenm.blogspot.com/2009/03/put-on-your-what.html

It's like we're all sharing one brain cell today.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katak!
I found your blog through Cathy's blog. You are way way too funny! Your posts always make me laugh. Thank you for your humor! I am trying to at least get a handle on my Inupiaq words and this post was really helpful!

:)
Rocksee

Ms. ~K said...

Very interesting and now I have a new nickname for "my man".
~Kit

Anonymous said...

Would any of you know where to get a Inupiaq Dictionary? I am Willig to Pay. I miss my Native Language. So does my Parents. Need to pass it on to my kids and then there kids and so on.