Click for Kotzebue, Alaska Forecast

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful...

1. I’m thankful that during my first Thanksgiving, I was the one who carved the turkey only to discover the neck and giblets are steaming inside! That means that I tried, laughed, learned and ate! My husband and I continue to experiment with food! Last year, we brined our turkey with some really stinky vinegar, salt, sugar, brine…we thought it would never turn out. It was the best turkey I’ve ever eaten! Plus, I make a mean Butternut Squash Casserole!

2. I’m thankful that I have to clean up permanent marker from the walls, continually "remind" kids to do chores, pay for new clothes, attend sports events and cook for seven every single nigh, because that means I have a large family with children running every which way.

3. I'm thankful that I have to wash dirty underwear, dirty jeans, sticky jackets and stinky socks, because that means I have a washing machine and dryer that work.

4. I'm thankful that I have to pick up dog poop, clean up dog pee, buy dog food, and take two dogs for walks, because that means I have two awesome (supercute) dogs for protection and companionship...and YES, my big dog sleeps with me.

5. I'm thankful that we have to pay for heat for my home, pay $500 for electricity per month, pay for a phone and internet connection and pay for a mortgage, because that means I have a home to live and grow old in.

6. I'm thankful that we have to spend $150 to fill up my car, and (today) call my friends to come jump me because that means I have a vehicle that (usually) works to bring me to work and shuttle kids around town.

7. I’m thankful that I get “bumped” off Alaska Airlines flights, because that mean’s I get to fly and shop in Anchorage so as not pay ten bucks for a gallon of milk in Kotzebue, and so I can bring my daughter to the Nutcracker Ballet for just the price of the tickets.

8. I’m thankful for all my crazy relatives, because that means I have a LOT of relatives and crazy people love more and harder then “normal” people! Seriously, we do.

9. I'm thankful that I don't get a full night's sleep, I have to clean dirty bathrooms, and sometimes my floor and snowpants are bloody, because that mean's I have a (wonderful) husband who sleeps next to me, snoring, who sometimes misses the mark on the pot, and kills a lot of subsistence animals so we can eat the traditional food we've always eaten!

10. I’m thankful for the extra “padding” I have on my body, because that mean’s I am eating well (VERY well!). And I’ll be eating really well on Thanksgiving when I celebrate with my parents, husband, children and various family! I can’t wait.

No comments: